Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting fit???

Has anyone else noticed how hard it is to get fit again after a lenghy absence from strenuous exercise? I used to play sport, run everyday, ride my bike everywhere, and had no trouble staying fit. But after a lengthy illness that precluded exercise for almost two years, and then two pregnancies, I'm finding fitness is a much harder proposition these days.

It's so much harder to get fit than to stay fit.
Any mother of small kiddies can tell you, finding time to exercise is one of the big hindrances, but there are many more pregnancy and motherhood related issues to keep us from achieving our dreams of being the next ironwoman -
  • aching feet - protesting the fact that they swelled to twice their normal size during pregnancy
  • total surrender and disappearing act by abdominal muscles
  • contraction of every cold/flu virus known to man thanks to littlies sucking on swings at the park, eating bark, slobbering on strange babies, and drinking from random drink bottles whenever possible, then kissing Mummy lovingly and forcibly sharing food with her
  • constant fatigue - this also doesn't help with late afternoon carb cravings...
I could go on...

So, I'm trying to get fit, 'trying' being the operative word. I've gone jogging twice this week, so it's a decent start. I'll need lots of encouragement I think, to drag myself out of a perfectly good bed each morning and run bleary-eyed down the road.

I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Julie B. said...

You can do it!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I hear you! I'm still trying to get there (and my youngest is 2!) Age doesn't help these days...